Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Important Library Information!

This afternoon I sent home a letter with important library information.  The letters were different based on the grade/age group, but here are the most important things that everyone should know:

School Supplies
I am requesting that each student bring in a box of tissues.  An optional supply is a package of baby wipes. Please label these items LIBRARY and place them in the box labeled Library School Supplies in the office or drop them by the library.

Book Checkout
Students in grades PK-5 will begin checking out books from the library in September.  Students in grades 1-5 will be taking their library books home.  Look for a library usage agreement to come home next week, to be signed by you and your child.  This will spell out the things your child is learning about how to care for library books, and I ask that you help reinforce these lessons.  This year I am also allowing parents to check out books from the library to share with your children at home.  The library will be open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8:15-8:45 for parents to visit with their child to check out books.  Students must be accompanied by a parent to visit the library at this time.   Parents may check out up to three books at a time.  This checkout time will begin on Tuesday, September 1, 2009.

Volunteers
I love my volunteers!  I always have tasks to be done, from cataloguing books to helping students find books to check out.  I also have special events a few times a year that involve a lot of volunteer energy.  If you’re interested in volunteering in the library, please email me at kate.sweeney@dc.gov or stop by the library to see me.  Most volunteer activities can be done on your own schedule, so if you know you’ll have a free hour every so often, I’d love to see you in the library!

Donations
Our library does accept donations of new and gently used books!  We have wish lists on Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com for titles we’d like to see in the library.  If you’d like to donate another book, please email me!  When you donate books to the library, we put a special bookplate inside the book to recognize your generosity.  We can also do memorial or honor gifts.  This makes a great birthday present for the child who has everything—a book in the library with his or her name inside!

 

I’m looking forward to meeting you all on Back to School Night, September 3.  Remember to stop by the library after you’ve met with your child’s teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment