Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Centering the Library

In my first year at Maury, I was terrified to work with our early childhood classes! I'd never worked with children that young, and teaching 16 3-year-olds was a daunting task for a first-year librarian. I quickly warmed up to Preschool and Pre-K, though. These kids come to the library so excited to explore great books, and they love being read to!

This year, I'm trying something a little different with my early childhood classes. We're still reading great books together, and the kids still have a chance to browse for books on their own. This year, though, they're also getting some free choice/center time in the library. Over the past few weeks, I've been introducing library centers one at a time, and the response from the kids has been wonderful!

The feltboard is really popular. I use it often
to tell stories, and the students love using
the feltboard pieces to retell the stories themselves.

I introduced the Promethean board as a center
this week. Can you guess which book we read?
I've got big ideas for adding more centers to the library. If you want to help, you can check out my Donor's Choose project here. In addition to the two you see here, we also have a puppet center, and I'll be introducing another new center next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment